Monday, November 12, 2012

The Forgotten Garden

I finally finished my book today. As I was reading it I kept thinking to myself, Wow, this is taking me a reeeeaaaaallllly long time to get through. Maybe my reading skills have slowed way down.

It turns out that I'm still a perfectly functioning speed reader. The book I was reading just happens to be 648 pages long in its paperback form. (And since I'm reading it on my Kindle, I had no idea.) Hence the couple of weeks it took me to get through it.

Anyway. The book I was reading was "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton.

O. M. G. ("g" for "goodness", of course.)

Never before have a fallen so deeply in love with a book.

Never before have I felt so kindred to a character in a story as I did to Eliza Makepeace.

And never before have I immediately started a book over upon its completion until "The Forgotten Garden."

I loved it. The writing style is perfect. It was a very smooth, easy read that was filled with dimension and intrigue. Kate Morton found a way to create a story that has a truly fascinating plot, and write it out in such a way that there is not a dry page to be found in all of its 648 pages.

As always, I was saddened to reach the end of the book (there's nothing worse than realizing a story you've grown so fond of has finally come to an end), but it's a sadness that cannot sustain because the book's ending is the story's beginning! And by reaching the end you are reminded of the beginning. I don't dare say anymore than that because if you intend to read it, you'll be sorry that I did.

The story is about a very old woman on her deathbed who is encumbered by both a secret and a mystery. Both of which are resolved in a most pleasing manner throughout the book. The story bounces back and forth between three different time periods, but follows a single family plagued by secrets and scandal.

You can Click Here to read an official summary.

If you enjoy reading at all, I would highly, highly recommend this one. Though the story may not reach out and touch you in quite the way it touched me, I can still guarantee you'll enjoy the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment