Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Solo That Started It All.

Today I was reminiscing about my first time singing in public. That time also happened to be my very first solo.

I was seven.

I sang in church for my grandparent's mission farewell. It was actually all of my cousins singing a song appropriately titled "Grandma and Grandpa are going away on a Mission", but the first few lines were a solo part. The part was supposed to go to the youngest grandchild, who was actually my sister Hailee. I remember being totally jealous that she was going to get to sing a solo in church. But she was only four or five at the time, and was completely mortified by the concept, so she tearily declined; and I was quick to fill her shoes.

I don't think anyone knew at the time (including myself) that I could sing, so it came as a bit of a surprise when I turned out to have pretty strong vocal abilities.

I remember how completely amazing it felt to be up in front of all those people singing. I don't remember feeling the slightest bit nervous. I was too excited to be nervous.

And that's how my singing career began. After that, my parents signed me up for some vocal lessons and the rest is history. I often wonder how different my life would be if I hadn't offered to do that solo. I may never have ended up in singing lessons, which would have meant that I would have never performed. I probably wouldn't have ever been in any type of music competition or musical play. I never would have spent that little bit of time working with a singing producer before cancer came along and squashed that dream. Haha. (At the time I was bummed, but I've since grown to appreciate that my life went in a different direction.)

And on that note . . . I'll share this lovely little musical gem with you. (Aubrey is performing the male part.)

 


PS, I finally got around to posting the next part of Chronicles of Zacorah. Sorry it took so long for those of you who have been asking me for it. I wasn't sure where to end the first episode. It was either too short, and ended in kind of a dull place, or it was waaaay too long. Ultimately I chose to publish it even though it's short and ends dull. Haha. Oh well. If you want to read it, Click Here. If you've already read the Introduction, just scroll down to Episode 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment