Monday, July 16, 2012

Lagoon!

Lagoon was awesome. (Of course!) My date fell through, but I still had an excellent time. We arrived at about 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, rode rides aaaalllll day until they closed at 11 p.m. and then bounced back the next day for about 6 more hours.

I was super proud of myself for two reasons. But before I explain that, you have to understand something. When I was about 14, my family and I were all traveling to Florida when our plane hit an air pocket and dropped for about 4 seconds. That doesn't sound like a long time, but in the moment it really was. And it did some damage. Before that, I LOVED rides. ALL rides. But after that experience I could no longer handle rides that dropped at a very steep angle, so I never tried anymore roller coasters that were very extreme and I avoided the Rocket like the plague.

I hadn't been on any rides in about 7 years, so this weekend I decided that I was going to forget all about my past experiences and just go for the "scary" rides. When we first got to the park, we started off easy with rides like the "Tilt-O-Whirl" and the "Scrambler" and then slowly worked our way up to the more extreme rides. We tried the new "Air Race" ride.


As you can see in the picture, it's just a ride that takes you around in circles while spinning you upside down at the same time. It was, of course, AWESOME! So then we started skipping the "kiddy" rides and going straight for the big guns. We pretty much spent most of our time on rides like The Samurai, The Mouse, The Spider, Colossus, and . . .


Wicked. :)

Yep. Straight up and straight down.

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

But here is my one crazy story from the whole weekend.

We all decided to go on Colossus. (By "all" I mean, me, my mom and dad, Aubrey, Wyatt, Sophie, Janelle and Milo.) There was no line, so we got on right away and we got on right at the very front. Sophie and I actually had the front seats.

Anyway . . . The ride starts climbing and just as it gets to the very top of the roller coaster, right before it starts down it's first drop . . . it stops. Stops. We're all like "uhhhh . . . .". We sit there for about 5 minutes before someone finally climbs her butt to the top to tell us there are "maintenance issues" and we should be finishing our ride at any moment. By now we are all a little freaked out. But we all REALLY start freaking out when we see a car from Wicked start to climb that big hump . . . make it half-way up . . . and then shoot back down into the tunnel. It's NOT supposed to do that. For some reason, witnessing that was like the last straw for our party. We were telling the lady that we would be just as happy to get off the ride as to finish it out. She responded with, "Well, we may have to evacuate you, but it'll have to be one at a time for safety reasons, starting at the back."

Hooray! That means I go last. My whole party goes last. Haha.

Then the lady tells us that what happened over on Wicked is actually really common . . . ??? Ummm . . . yikes.

Finally Colussus started moving again and we rode the ride.
We were all shaken up pretty good after all that went down, so we rode a few more kiddy rides until we could get up the nerve to hit up some more roller coasters. Haha.

So, remember how I said I don't like rides that drop you straight down? Well, here is the part where I tell you why I'm proud of myself: I rode the Rocket. Multiple times. And the experience was amplified by the fact that my first time was well after dark. In fact, it was really incredible and I LOVED it. It's by far my favorite of all the rides. (Followed by Wicked and then The Spider.)

Here are a few random pictures we took this weekend.












No comments:

Post a Comment