Tuesday, August 14, 2012

There's this boy . . .

. . . and I've agreed to go on a date this weekend with him. I'm really nervous about this one. He's been a friend for so long that it's a little intimidating to see him on a "more than friends" level - even the only-slightly-more-than-friends level of a simple, casual date.

Here are the things about him that make him wonderful:

- Dark, long/shaggy hair, dark eyes,
- Excellent ability to grow facial hair,
- Loves to hike/climb/mountain bike, so consequently has very nice muscles ;),
- The boy can siiiing,
- He loves sushi,
- Was a firefighter for 7 years - only recently retired,
- Is now an artist (love!),
- Served a foreign mission (so, is LDS),
- Prefers dogs to cats,
- Is very romantic,
- Knows exactly what to say to make me giddy,
- Has the cutest dimples,
- Is one of my most trusted, best friends.

That's a pretty good list of things. That last one is what scares me the most. I hope going on a few dates doesn't destroy our friendship.

He points out that going on dates with us being such good friends could mean that we would just have an even better time on our date(s) than we otherwise would. He also points out that, because we are such good friends already, we could really hit it off and be together "forever".

I would just like to point out that - while his final point is true - the opposite is also true. We could end up completely hating each other and never speaking again. I have a talent for bringing these kinds of things into action. And I would genuinely miss him in my life. In fact - I think losing his friendship would hurt equally as much as my divorce did. I really think it would . . .

Speaking of my divorce . . .

I have decided that I have never been in love. Not even with my ex husband. Sure . . . I loved him, but I wasn't in love with him, and I don't think I ever have been with anyone. I think the fact that I feel as strongly about two other boys as I ever did for my ex husband is proof enough. There's no way I've been in love with multiple people after spending only a few months dating them. I think I simply loved them. But no deeper.

I can't decide whether that fact should make me sad or not . . .

Ultimately, I think not . . . because I'd rather save that for the person I do end up with forever. (If that ever happens. I may be "doomed" to a life of casual dating and non-commitments. So far, I've strangely been okay with that.)

On a completely different note: If you've never read any of the books by Child and Preston, you maybe should. They aren't the most amazing books I've ever read, but I am pretty in love with their Pendergast books. (Hey! I guess I have been in love before!) ;) And they make for an entertaining read - if you like that sort of stuff. Which I do.

Seriously, though . . . If that Pendergast character were real . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment