Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Start of My Vacation

Well -- I made it! I'm officially in the very best place to be on the whole of the Earth! It's funny -- it hit me today that this is MY very first official vacation. This is the first vacation I've ever taken where I have paid 100% for it by myself, and I even traveled here by myself. (Though, this is not my first time flying by myself.) That little fact hit me while I was taking my night swim.

 My trip getting here was moderately interesting. I had to catch the Salt Lake Express in Idaho Falls. The van was 25 minutes late showing up. Then the driver drove like a bat-outta-Hell to get us to make up for lost time. Problem was, the roads were TERRIBLE. It was only me and two other women as passangers in the van, so we sat in the back and entertained each other with our life stories so we wouldn't have to think about how near and possible our deaths were. By the time we reached the airport, we were all exchanging phone numbers and hugs.

Before we reached the airport, we made a pit stop in Ogden for a potty break and I got to spend a few minutes with my friend Daniel. Always a good time, though not nearly long enough. Then we were back on the road, driving 500 miles per hour again. The ironic thing was this: The bus was due to arrive at the airport by 10:00 p.m., but my flight was the earliest to leave . . . and it wasn't until 12:55 a.m.. Another one of us lived in Salt Lake, so she didn't care when she made it home, and the other of us didn't have to catch her flight until 7:00 a.m.. So . . . why that guy was in such a hurry? Who knows. We were the last bus he was scheduled to drive. He must have just wanted to get home.

We made it to the airport on time, and I was at my gate by a little after 10, so I called my friend Zach, who was kind enough to talk to me until about 5 minutes before I had to board the plane. The sweet boy kept me awake. I was effing tired, not gonna lie -- and I'm sure our conversation was a little crazy, but I'm appreciative. He even made sure to take today off so that he could stay up late talking to me last night. I think that's just the sweetest thing.

My first flight was good. I slept through most of it. It got a little turbulent for about 5 minutes, but nothing too extreme. Then I had a layover in Atlanta for a couple of hours. I was a complete zombie. I slept some, but not much. Zach had offered to have me call him back to keep me awake, but I couldn't bare to do it to the poor guy, so I just people watched. There was this one chick that really sticks out in my memory, but I have NO idea why. She was TALL. Probably 6 feet (with her heels). She had naturally red hair that she had dyed blond which was down to her shoulderblades, and she was TINY. She reminded me of a glamorous praying mantis. Seriously. But not in a good way (if there even IS a good way to resemble a glamorous praying mantis). I have NO idea why she sticks out when no one else did.

My second flight was awesome and smooth. I slept through 95% of it. Then I had arrived!

Now -- there is NO better experience than that of stepping out of the Fort Myers airport and feeling/smelling the warm, humid, salty air. I LOVE it. It instantly makes me euphoric. And even though I had only slept for an accumulated 4 hours, I was completely invigorated and ready to play! I immediately went down to kick it poolside, and already have a fabulous base tan going. I love it when my thyroid levels are where they are right now. I tan up nicely, but don't burn if I'm careful to only stay in the sun for an hour or two at a time at first. By the time I leave here in two weeks . . . I'm going to be DARK. Yesssss!

After what ended up being a nap by the pool happened, I came upstairs and took yet another nap. Then my grandma had the missionaries over for dinner. It's cute -- my grandma had warned me that this one elder was "oh so cute". I just chuckle to myself because the elders are 21 years old . . . just a tad too young ;) But, wow. She wasn't kidding. This one elder was adorable. They BOTH were, actually. I really wanted to take them home to my little sister. Haha.

After dinner, I went for an after-dark swim. Which was awesome. I had the whole pool to myself with the exception of two happy old guys chillin in the hot tub. I swam laps for about an hour, and then came back up to the condo to write this happy blog post. Now I'm going to hit my pillow because I am BEAT. I'll post more pictures tomorrow. :)

Taken from a car while crossing the bride onto Sanibel Island. I'm in love with all the water and sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment