Monday, March 19, 2012

Z and Me.

Ugh. My last day is swiftly dwindling away. It's horribly depressing. By this time tomorrow, I'll be on an airplane headed back to the land of snow and misery. The only reason I'm looking forward to getting home is to see my dogs. I miss them.

Today I was referred to as "the celebrity of the Ocean Harbor condos." True story. Apparently, I'm the focus of much discussion between elderly members of the community and their guests. I was curious to know why that is, and this is what I found out:

It all started with something I did on one of my first days here. My grandma and I were down at the Clubhouse for art day and she realized she had forgotten something (I can't remember exactly what it was) so I told her I'd go and get it for her. And apparently that simple act really made an impression on the ladies who witnessed it. That's what got the talk about me started. Whaa??? That was easy! Haha.

Then, a few days later, I offered to do an errand for another lady of the community, and again that simple act made quite an impression. And little sweet old ladies talk.

By the time my original date to leave had arrived, a lot of people knew my name and would stop to tell my grandparents what a "nice grand daughter" they have. My grandpa came up to the condo one day and said, "Do you now who Phil and Louise are?" To which I replied, "No, why?". He told me that they had stopped him to ask about me (by name) and he had no idea who they were. He says he'd never even seen them before. Haha.

That sort of thing has happened twice that I know of.

The final thing I did to score major brownie points happened last week. There was a little lady walking home from Publix (a grocery store) at the same time as I was. It was hot and she was hobbling along with her bag of groceries. Since we were walking the same way, I asked if I could carry them for her. She was a little reluctant at first, but after hearing my name and who my grandparents are, she graciously agreed to let me assist her. And that sealed my fate here.

Why am I bragging about something so completely ridiculous? Because it makes me happy to know that my absence here won't go unnoticed. I already have a walking buddy for when I come back. And this was my GRANDPA who told me that. Any of you who know my grandpa know why that's impressive. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye. So it's good to hear that he's looking forward to me coming back to visit at some point in the future. I'm so glad that some things were resolved with us during this trip. I have some amazing grandparents.

On a completely different note: It's recently been brought to my attention that there are (apparently) those who doubt my Mr. Z is real. Normally this wouldn't be a problem for me, but I figure . . . if you guys are devoted enough to take the time to read my blog posts, you deserve to know the truth. Mr. Z IS real. And I have the pictures to prove it. See for yourself!


This is a picture of the day that Z and I first met. As you can see . . . we met fishing. That was a good day.






This is Z and I hanging out at my house. Look how cute we are together!





And this is a very accurate picture of our nightly routine.



Speaking of bad drawings . . . I did another drawing that turned out horrendous! And since I share my failures along with my successes on this blog, I'll share this one with you.

Here's how it progressed.





By the third picture there, the whole drawing had gone to Hell. I was trying a completely new technique, though. (By the way, babe . . . while I'm thinking about it . . .  I figured out it's called "stippling"). Anyway . . .  They can't all be wins, eh?

Alright. I'm off to feed my squirrel.




No comments:

Post a Comment