Thursday, March 1, 2012

Vaca Day 10

My walk this morning was excellent -- as always. However - I found a creature far more interesting than the ones I had previously discovered. On some level, it's far more frightening and yet, far more fascinating, than anything else I am likely to find on the beach -- ever! And this is including the time that a live (though only barely) baby shark washed up onto the shore as my friend and I were happily marching home from the theatre house on the beach (we had gone to see Secret Window -- another story for another time), singing our guts out, not caring who heard us or what they thought. It was my friend who discovered and picked up the tiny monster, but it was I who waved it around carelessly in peoples face whilst "dun-dunning" the theme from jaws (how have I never been arrested?). I believe we carried that shark all the way home and told my grandmother we had brought home dinner. (By then it was certainly dead. I'm pretty sure he ended up in the garbage shoot . . .)

Now -- baring this terrifying shark story in mind -- behold the creature I chanced upon today!

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
DUN DUN DUNNNN!

You know -- upon second glance . . . he's kinda cute.

Not gonna even lie right now. I have about a MILLION stories made up in my mind about these teeth and how they came to rest on a tiny island in southern Florida. I even considered the possibility that the rest of the human remains were simply buried beneath the sand . . . and if I were to only dig a bit, I could uncover him (those look like the teeth of a man, right?) and get my 15 minutes of fame. But then I thought "Ugh. I'd become the number one suspect (isn't that how it works? The person who uncovers the body is typically the first suspect?) and that could really put a damper on my otherwise excellent vacation."

Ultimately, I left them be. I'll let someone else live the adventure.

In all seriousness . . . do you think the person who dropped these even noticed?? Wouldn't you at least NOTICE if your teeth fall from your head?!? They don't look like they've been floating around in the water for days and days, so I would imagine they were lost right there on the beach. Can't you just picture an old man walking along the beach? He hears a thud and thinks to himself, "hmmm . . . what was that?" He feels his pockets, pats his chest, shrugs and carries on his merry way, leaving his teeth behind. At what point does one notice they are missing?!

Ugh! It's going to drive me bonkers that this will always be a mystery.

I made a couple of recordings of my walk this morning. I won't give an introduction to them more than what I've said already. I'll just upload them, let you watch them, and they can speak for themselves. Miriam -- I had you in mind when I made these. Now it's kind of like you were there on that beach with me, babe. You know I love ya! ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment