Thursday, December 1, 2011

Get to know me.

Since there are about 6 or 7 of you who read my blog whom I've never met, I figure I'll use this post to tell you all a little about me. You can find some facts about me on my "about" page, but I'll tell a little more here.

I am 26 years old.

I was married the day after my 20th birthday and divorced within 5 years of that. My ex-hubby is a good guy, but we didn't mesh well. We made excellent friends, and horrible spouses.

I'm not a fan of cooking - but I'm an excellent cook. I honestly would rather grab an apple or some broccoli than attempt to cook something to eat. Am I lazy? Maybe . . . but I actually prefer the fruit and veggies.

I'm obsessed with keeping a clean apartment. And (when it's my own home) I really enjoy cleaning. However - I never enjoy doing dishes.

I walked before I crawled and I was actually born cross-eyed. True story. (I was only cross-eyed for about a day.)

I'm terrified of spiders, but I have a goal to hold a tarantula one day.

Nothing scares me more than tornadoes. Nothing.

I went to school to be a nail tech, with the intentions of using that trade to get me through the degree I actually want, but I've never worked as a nail tech. I'm excellent at doing nails, though.

I'm a speed-reader. Like . . . above average speed-reader.

I don't have a thyroid, and it's been a huge struggle.

I only have two things about my life that I truly regret, and at the same time . . . I don't regret them. Both of them are things I did that didn't have the most desirable results, but at the same time . . . good things came from the journey. I'm not about to explain that further, so . . . do with that what you want.

It's true that I have super long hair, but it used to also be thick. It was beautiful thick. It's been thinning out for years (no thyroid, remember?). I'm not at risk for going bald or anything . . . in fact, my hair is now the average thickness. I just miss how thick it used to be. (The word "thick" is in that paragraph a lot.)

I really, really want to get back to school to study English/English Literature/Creative Writing. All of my writing skills are self-taught . . . and they have room for improvement.

I've never (officially) left the country. I went on an Alaskan cruise that took us up into Canada (into Victoria), but that's it. I really want to change that, and soon.

I love road trips. Love them.

I suffered from a severe anxiety disorder for three years. And I mean suffered. I don't even remember those years. That's how bad it was. That's also what contributed greatly to my failed marriage. But at the same time, my marriage contributed to the disorder. It was a vicious cycle. I'm so grateful to be out of it.

I'm the oldest of four kids. Two younger sisters and a brother. My sisters are my best friends. (Becky and Miriam are my best friends, too). ;)

My first cancer battle was when I was 17. It was thyroid cancer - which is when I lost my thyroid. Then I was diagnosed with it again when I was 21. I battled it with a Vegan diet that time. When I was 24 (almost 25) I was diagnosed with a cancer of the saliva gland - which I later googled and learned that it could be a consequence of radiation treatment for thyroid cancer. I feel super blessed to have been diagnosed with these "easy" cancers. The battles have been quick and relatively painless.

I'm now a little obsessed with working out and eating properly. Cancer will do that to a person.

It's easier for me to stay up late and sleep in than it is to get up/go to bed early, but I feel best if I do the latter.

I prefer sunsets to sunrises, but only in the summer. In the winter it's the opposite.



So . . . there you have it - a little more about me. Maybe I'll do a part II to this sometime, but I think that's good enough for now.

Thank-you all for reading. It really makes my day when I come to check my blog and the view count has raised - even if it's only by one. :) You guys are the best!

3 comments:

  1. haha, I had to delete my "view" count bar, it made me depressed :-)

    Funny that you hate tornadoes, I LOVE natural disasters, I've been in one tornado and 5 hurricanes, 4 tropical storms, numerous blizzards and one itty bitty tiny earthquake.

    And I LOVE LOVE LOVE road trips, which is good, because as a family we do a lot of driving around the country.
    Also I love cleaning and organizing, but hate the dishes! Seriously, do I HAVE to wash that cup if I just drank water? FINE! But I am thankful for the world's best/quietest dishwasher!

    And finally, Miriam is a great friend to have. Love her.


    See, we could be twins :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, there are random "creative writing" courses you can find online or at libraries that might be fun to try. But I think when it comes to writing, reading, practicing, and having people you trust (that know a little bit about writing or reading) is more helpful than a degree.
    But my little sister might disagree, she has a degree in creative writing/english/editing because she wants to be a writer/editor.
    I told her to leave Idaho ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. We totally could be twinies! ;)

    That is excellent advice. And I have taken a few Creative Writing courses online that were offered through ISU. They weren't worth credit, but they were still fun. So, I guess when I say that I am self-taught, that's not ENTIRELY true. Thing is . . . what I learned in those courses, I mostly already knew. It was more of a refresher/opportunity to practice and have my work rated by others.

    I've wondered about if I'll be able to live in Idaho AND be a writer. I guess time will tell. And I definitely need to start meeting some people who know of and about some editors/publishers. I'm hoping to have my book completely finished before spring, and I'm definitely going to try and publish it. (Good luck, eh?) ;)

    ReplyDelete