Friday, December 9, 2011

Say No to Cruelty!

Last night I saw a picture of a dog that had a firecracker set off in its mouth on facebook. It made me absolutely sick. Those kinds of things disturb me on an unfathomable level. Why are people so cruel? Who could do something so awful to an innocent animal? Ugh. People like that make me sick.

Cruelty in general makes me sick. Not just animal cruelty. Take the shootings for example. Why? What IS it that brings these people to this point? In many cases I suppose there would have to be multiple factors to push someone over the edge like that. I just can't imagine that it could be one "little" thing.

On that note: It's not just violence that makes me sick. I think back on High School when I witnessed certain students being bullied by other students, and I never understood why. I may not have been friends or have been particularly fond of the students being picked on, but it still made me upset to witness it. What is the point of saying hurtful words . . . to anyone? People would poke fun of the way they dressed, spoke, looked, or of where they came from or were going in their lives. I made it a goal to always stick up for the person, no matter what. Sometimes I succeeded in my goal, and unfortunately, sometimes I let pride get the better of me and I walked away.

A large part of why it bothered me so bad was probably my own experiences with being bullied. I was bullied in Elementary School. Fortunately, by Middle School, I had "grown out of" whatever it was that urged "people" (it was really just one girl) to be cruel to me. I didn't suffer anymore bullying through Middle or High School, but I still remember what it was like.

I think it's so important to be nice. It's a lesson we hear over and over growing up, but some people really struggle with it. Why is there ever a good excuse to say anything cruel about or to someone? Ever?

There isn't.

Period.

You never know what's going on in someone's life or mind. And you never know what cruel words can spark in them, but you know that kind words are 99% likely to only bring about good things. I'm making it a goal to say 10 kind things today without making one cruel or judgemental comment to counter it. (This is something I try to do often). I challenge you all do do the same. It's harder than you think.

Good luck! Much love!

Here is a quote I like that I think goes along with kindness quite well when you think about it:


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment